In response to my post, Date for Fun Or Date To Meet The One, a reader asks, “But what do you do if you’re not going on dates?” Great question! I’m glad you asked. Below are 6 things to keep you busy and actively engaged in life while you’re not going on dates:
1. Find out the Purpose of your life. Become obsessed with finding out your purpose then consume your life with fulfilling it. Ask God to reveal it. He created you and is the only one who knows. Purpose is why we wake up in the morning and why we make certain decisions and not others. It’s the foundation of our lives.
2. Create a life that makes your heart sing. This is very easy to do when we know our purpose. Purpose gives your life direction. It leads you to people, places, and things that add layers of excitement and Joi de Vivre to your life. A life you love might look like going on a missions trip. It might also look like relocating to a new city. The best time to relocate is when you’re single. I did it many years ago and it literally set the course of my life and drew me closer to God in a way that may not have happened otherwise.
3. Get into self-care. You all know I’m big on self-care as a matter of fact, I wrote an entire post about some of the ways I take care of me. Go here to read it then put together a plan of how you will intentionally take care of you. Once you become intentional about it, then it will become a part of your lifestyle.
4. Go sit on the couch. We all have issues. If you think you have none, you have the most. I believe in therapy, counseling, coaching, meeting with your pastor and anything else that will help you become your best. If there’s something going on in your life that you can’t seem to get a handle on, while you’re single and not going on dates is the best time to get to the bottom of it. Minimize your baggage now.
5. Find out what makes you happy and do it often. I love cooking. It makes me happy. Over the weekend I went to Costco to stock up and then on Sunday I was in my kitchen making a quinoa salad, roasting Brussel sprouts, butternut squash and doing some serious meal prep for the week. Meal prep makes me happy too and what makes me happiest is taking great care of my temple and feeding it great food. See how that all ties together? Since I’m snowed in today, I whipped up a stack of spelt flour pancakes and topped them with blueberries. Yum! What makes you happy? Remember, you are responsible for your own happiness.
6. Become a great communicator. Communication is the key. You need to know how to communicate effectively before you go on dates and definitely before you enter a relationship. Poor communication destroys relationships. Often times we communicate poorly out of our own pain and baggage which is why I want you to go sit on the couch. Work all that stuff out so that you can communicate without being defensive, critical, disrespectful or shutting down.
Makes Your Heart Sing
To sum it all up, when you find out your purpose, your life takes on new meaning and you are now equipped to create a life the makes your heart sing. Self-care is now second nature and a part of taking care of you is taking care of any issues that plague you.
Do It Often
As you sit on the couch, you will find out what makes you happy and do it often plus talking to someone about your issues will help you become a much better communicator in the long run. I wish you well on your journey of self-discovery, acceptance, and love.
What say you? What else do suggest doing while not going on dates or dating?
Here are 2 things I’d like you to do now:
1. Leave a comment below
2. Share this post if you like it